Looking for the best matte box on the market? We’ve got you covered. Check out our ratings of absolute bestsellers below and make a final decision.
1414 Reviews Scanned
- 【CARBON FIBER BOX & TOP FLAG】SmallRig Lightweight Matte Box 2660 is designed to block the sun or other light source in order to prevent glare and lens flare, with interchangeable mounting systems that suits cinema or DSLR lenses. The included carbon fiber top flag helps block veiling glare or bright reflections from striking your lens, and it can be folded down to cover the front of the matte box and provide protection to the front of your lens.
- 【WIDE COMPATIBILITY】The matte box comes with a 114mm clamp that allows you to mount it directly onto 114mm cine lens, and the included 67 to 114mm, 72 to 114mm, 77 to 114mm, 82 to 114mm threaded adapter rings allow you to use the matte box with lenses of different diameters.
- 【SUPPORTS TWO 4 X 4" OR 4 X 5.65" FILTERS】It accepts two 4 x 4 or 4 x 5.65" filters without the use of filter trays and includes four adapter rings to attach the matte box to the lens. The filters can be easily pushed out from the side without leaving fingerprints on the filters by unscrewing the top thumbscrew.
- 【FOUR 1/4"-20 ACCESSORY THREADS】Weights Only 238g without the top flag, SmallRig 2660 suits small mirrorless or DSLR cameras and is made from durable but lightweight carbon fiber material. There are four 1/4"-20 threads on top of the matte box that allow you to mount additional accessories.
- 【RECOMMENDATIONS OF SMALLRIG】Separately available 95 to114mm Adapter Ring SmallRig 2661 can be used for cine-style lenses. Besides, the matte box can be mounted onto your rig using an optional 15mm LWS rod clamp 2663 that attaches to the bottom 1/4"-20 thread on the matte box.
- The Mini matte box is a light weight and affordable solution for filmmakers using DSLR and mirrorless style cameras.
- The Mini Matte Box weighs only 140g (4.9oz) and can help prevent flaring and provides added protection for your lens. It features a french flag with 180 degrees of coverage.
- 1/4-20 and 3/8-16 mounting points and cold shoe mounts provide mounting points for any accessories including LED lights or microphones. The kit also includes a 15mm matte box support that attaches to the bottom of the matte box, securing your lens in place to provide lens stability. (does not support telescoping front element lenses).
- The added benefit of this matte box are the two filter options. The front of the matte box provides a slot for any standard 4×5.65 filter.
- Screw on filters can be attached to the adapter rings via the inside threading that match each adapter ring diameter. The adapter ring is attached to your lens, you can clip on your matte box and then apply your screw on filter.
- The Mini Matte Box is a lightweight, affordable solution for filmmakers using DSLR and mirrorless style cameras. The Mini Matte Box weighs only 140g (4.9oz). It provides added protection for your lens and can help prevent light flares with the included top french flag.
- 1/4″-20 and 3/8″-16 screw holes and cold shoe mounts provide several mounting points for a variety of accessories such as small LED lights or microphones. The kit also includes a 15mm rod adapter that attaches to the bottom of the matte box, providing support for the weight of the matte box as well as a way to secure your lens in place to provide lens stability (does not support lenses with front element telescoping).
- The added benefit of this matte box are the two filter options. The front of the matte box provides a slot for any standard 4×5.65 filter. Also, screw-on filters can be attached to the included adapter rings via the inside threading that match each adapter ring diameter. This adapter ring is first attached to your lens and then the matte box clamps onto the adapter ring.
- The kit includes the Mini Matte Box, top french flag, 15mm single rod support attachment, and four lens adapter rings (82mm, 77mm, 67mm, and 72mm). Additional adapter rings in non-standard sizes (52mm, 55mm, 58mm, 62mm, 85mm) as well as cine version adapter rings (80mm and 85mm) will be made available soon.
- Universal design for all camcorders and DSLRs & Industry standard 15mm supporting rods, center-to-center rails distance 60mm
- You can easily swing-away the mattebox without disturbing the camera from the tripod and rail system.you can free open from one sides ,applied in the photographic process frequent replacement lenses and filters ,easily and convenience
- 2 dual-purpose filter trays made of plastic,supporting 4"x4" filter used .one filter tray is fixed,another one of the filter trays is rotatable,which will be helpful when you use gradual ND filter
- French Flag/Side Flags : The flags provide extra flare reduction and improves the quality of videos. The side flags are quick removable. They can be attached /detached easily.Both flags can be folded for storage.
- The flags are attached firmly on the sunshade mattebox by hinge mechanism. The side flags can be opened to the desired length by using the small knob provided on the flags
- 【Suitable for almost ALL Cameras,Compatible 14mm Ultra Wide-angle Lens or 114mm Front Thread Lens 】Universal design for all DSLR cameras, video cameras, interchangeable-Lens cameras & Industry standard 15mm rod system and 19mm rod system. Support maximum of 14mm ultra-wide-angle lenses or large lenses up to 114mm in diameter
- 【CNC Machined，4x4 Rotatable Filter Trays】Rugged & lightweight, Made of all metal CNC machined except for the matte box body and filter trays, in the case of ensuring the overall strength and minimize the weight
- 【No Light Reflection,Height Ajustable】The excellent extinction treatment inside of the matte box, can effectively block the glare and reflected light
- 【One-button Releasing Swing Away Style】For changing lenses quickly, the unit features a swing away mechanism at a 90 degrees and one key to unlock, automatic closure and allow height adjustable. Instead of moving the mounting position of the matte box, (which may be blocked by other rig accessories, or require rod extensions to fit) , it can simply be lifted one key to undo
- 【Foldable Clip-in Type French Flag and Side Flags】The kit includes one foldable French flag, and two adjustable side wings. All the flags can be folded and stored for easy carrying. Each of the three flags can be positioned and locked in place so as to suit different focal lengths by providing the maximum amount of shading without getting in the way of the shot
- This Matte Box could be adjusted the height (up to 45mm) according to the lens of camera on the rail rod system
- Top and flank barn door are easily adjustable the angle to meet you; and removable,
- Made of mostly plastic, and anodized black metal
- For Rail Center-to-Center distance: 6mm
- For Rail Dia: 15mm
- Made of mostly plastic, and anodized black metal
- The Matte Box could be adjusted the height (up to 45mm) according to the lens of camera on the rail rod system
- Top and flank barn door are easily adjusting the angle; Can be removable
- It works with standard 15mm rod support systems, and fits lens from 43mm to 77mm sizes
- Designed for most DV cameras with wide angle lenses,for Rail Center-to-Center distance: 60mm
- This FOTGA DP3000 Matte box (M3) is a professional device universally designed to accommodate all DSLR's and camcorders and it compatible with any industry standard 15mm rail system.
- The matte box gives provides the user full lighting control and prevents glare and lens flare with its foldable french flags and adjustable side wings. It features precision engineered Swing-Away mechanism for quick lens changes and allows height adjustable. It also provides a means of using filters and one of the 180 degrees rotating filter trays and much more!
- It is specially designed for most DV cameras with wide angle lenses. With competitive price, this matte box will be your optimal selection. It will greatly facilitate your digital life.
- Universal design for all camcorders and DSLRs & Industry standard 15mm supporting rods, center-to-center rails distance 60mm.
- For changing lenses quickly, the unit features a swing away design. Instead of moving the mounting position of the matte box, (which may be blocked by other rig accessories, or require rod extensions to fit), it can simply be slid outwards with just one screw to undo. It also allows height adjustable.
- ★ Universal design for all camcorders and DSLRs & Industry standard 15mm supporting rods
- ★ The kit includes one French flag, and two adjustable side wings. Each of the three flaps can be positioned and locked in place so as to suit different focal lengths by providing the maximum amount of shading without getting in the way of the shot.
- ★ For changing lenses quickly, the unit features a swing away design at a 90 degrees and allow height adjustable. Instead of moving the mounting position of the matte box, (which may be blocked by other rig accessories, or require rod extensions to fit), it can simply be slid outwards with just one screw to undo.
- ★ A set of 4 “donut” rings are included.(Size at 103mm,76mm,64mm,51mm).By fitting one of these rings, light from the rear of the matte box can be blocked out, leaving only the camera lens protruding through. Donuts are slightly flexible, and the four sizes range to fit almost any lens diameter.
- ★ 2 Dual-purpose filter trays, supporting 4x4" filter sizes (One of the trays allow rotating 180 degrees)
- WELL CRAFTED CAMERA SUN SHADE MATTE BOX with outer diameter of 105mm to accommodate multiple lens sizes.
- FRENCH FLAG and SIDE BARN DOORS with dual pivot mechanism offer height adjustment
- One 4” x 4” non-rotating built in Filter Holder with removable locking tray is perfect for a square filter
- Removable / Adjustable Metal Top and Side Flags.
Complete Guide to Buying the Best Matte Box
Given how the market is literally overflowing with products to fit every purpose and budget, it’s only natural that deciding on the features that are indispensable in a quality matte box appears somewhat challenging.
Also read 👉 Stones For Edge Pro Review
Are you tired of overwhelming technical details? Do you feel like the manufacturers aren’t very specific about their specifications? We are here to help you navigate the confusing abundance and find your way to your own top matte box out there.
Read below for a beginner-friendly matte box buying guide to make a decision you won’t regret.
How to Pick the Best matte box: Our Buying Guide & Tips
It’s a common scenario for confused shoppers to ask, “Who makes the best matte box?”. While manufacturers differ and this is indeed an important parameter to take into account, we believe the following question to be more appropriate: What should I look for in a matte box?
It’s only by being aware of all the possible features that you can see the whole picture and avoid frustrating cherry-picking. Here is the answer:
Also read 👉 Audio Crossover Review
Build Quality and Craftsmanship
Even if you are looking for an affordable matte box, you don’t want it to stop working before the task is done.
Be sure to find out what this or that matte box is made of and preferably scan negative reviews for potential weaknesses so that you can decide whether you can and should put up with those.
Ease of Use
Choose intuitive products that boast a well-thought-out design and just feel good in your preferred setting. Versatility is also important unless you want a dedicated solution, so think about the item’s potential scope as well.
Think about what you pay for if you choose a certain matte box option. Is it the brand or the actual quality? Are all the bells and whistles in this premium model worth the extra money? It’s always up to you. And don’t forget to factor in the warranty — decent coverage could spare you some costs!
Also read 👉 Friend Scrapbook Albums Review
How We Rate Each Matte Box
Some buyers might be eager to get their hands as dirty as possible while looking for their next favorite, but others find the amount of research that goes into informed shopping rather daunting.
You can entrust the task to our rating system if you belong to the latter category. We gather vast amounts of data from matte box ratings and customer feedback to synthesize them into all-around, up-to-date unbiased testimonials to highlight all the pros and cons of a given product.
At the preliminary stage, our system automatically analyzes customer reviews of best rated matte box models. It utilizes efficient artificial intelligence tools to obtain as much first-hand product information as possible and categorize it into benefits and flaws with the help of sentiment analysis instruments.
As a potential buyer, you are probably anxious to know how we test each matte box that we review. What we do is proceed to put each product through a series of stringent tests based on its presumed advantages and features generally seen as neutral.
Also read 👉 Bathing Suit For Post Baby Body Review
Maintaining an extensive and robust database enables matte box comparison for those who have a difficult time choosing between different matte box brands.
Generally, if you know what to look for in a matte box and what price you can afford, the next step is to check customer rating for a selection of most-praised items to choose from.
You can read and compare matte box reviews on your own or entrust it to our artificial intelligence-driven system. Whichever scenario you choose, make sure you are aware of any potential limitations and make the decision based on your purpose and budget.